Santa Cruz is a legend in the skating world. They produce some of the best-selling and widely known boards on the market. But they also feature a wide variety of traditional and longboard skateboards that are designed for both the amateurs and the pros. Their latest model is pretty easy to handle and offers a smoother rolling experience than what you’d expect from a board right out of the box. Unlike other competing models, the Mahaka isn’t a board that requires a ton of upgrades. In fact, it’s equipped with some of the best trucks, bearings, and wheels on the market.
We also fell in love with the eye-catching deck that’s twice as thick as the decks you’ll find on other longboards in this price range.
The Mahaka Rasta Cruzer by Santa Cruz is one of their leading longboards. It’s equipped with a deck that’s made out of one hundred percent maple and comes complete with spray on grip, sixty-five-millimeter wheels, and top of the line ABEC bearings. Overall, it’s the perfect board for old school skaters, but it can also be a great board to learn on.
Overview and Features
If you’re familiar with the traditional longboards of the past, this Santa Cruz board will take you back in time to the golden age of skating.
This is a pintail shaped board that measures in at a little over forty-three inches in length. And it’s actually a Santa Cruz board that’s highly rated among skaters of all skill levels. The shape of the board is surfboard inspired, just like the longboards that were so popular in the 70s. But this board doesn’t just look cool, it offers a smoother roll, improved maneuverability, higher speeds, and the type of durability in a skateboard that’s hard to find these days.
In fact, it showcases plenty of unique features that make it one of the best skateboards on the market to date.
As we mentioned, the deck of the board is made out of genuine one hundred percent North American maple. Maple not only adds the right amount of rigidity to a skateboard, but it also significantly improves durability.
While most skaters will classify this model as a longboard, because it is, Santa Cruz is quick to point out a minor difference that makes their patented Cruzer boards stand out from the average longboard. A Cruzer is usually designed for use on level terrain, while the standard longboard can be used for hill riding.
Bearings, Trucks, and Wheels
The included bearings feature an ABEC 3 rating. The bearings themselves arrive pre-lubricated and offer a smoother roll.
Under the deck, you’ll find the traditional bold Santa Cruz logo.
The trucks are B150 Bullet Trucks Cutbacks. They feature a nine-inch axle length and they’re designed to provide max stability, which makes them perfect for carving. These top of the line trucks also feature the reverse kingpin configuration. Skaters who just weren’t satisfied with these trucks recommend the 5″ Turbo Speed Trucks Set, which are rated as some of the best skateboard trucks on the market.
The wheels are sixty-five millimeters in diameter and are made by Road Rider. They also have a 78A durometer rating. Their translucent green design nicely complements the deck of the board. If you want to upgrade these wheels, we recommend the Shark Wheel California Roll Skateboard Wheels, or the Everland 65x51mm Skateboard Wheels.
Clearly, the manufacturer put a lot of thought into the design process. This longboard will make the older skater feel a little nostalgic. Now, the Mahaka Rasta can allow you to relive the good old days on a board that’s designed by one of the leading skate companies in the industry.
- The spray on grip surface offers improved stability for the skater.
- This is a beautiful looking board that’s easy to handle.
- This is a board that rolls like a dream, thanks to the high-quality wheels and bearings.
- We were surprised to learn that this board comes with premium trucks, which offers an improved riding experience.
- The soft wheels are perfect for a variety of terrains and roll smoothly and easily over gravel and other types of cultivated surfaces.
- This is the perfect board to use for cruising around town.
- The length of the board is perfect for skaters with larger feet.
- Equipped with a thicker, stiffer deck compared to other boards in this price range.
- The trucks offer excellent pivot.
- Considered a very stable board, even at high speeds.
- The placement of the wheels makes it easy for beginners to learn how to balance on their first skateboard.
- The deck’s thickness makes this model suitable for larger adults.
- Offers excellent handling.
- This board has a three-hundred-pound max weight capacity, which is pretty impressive.
- Right out of the box you’ll need to tighten the trucks before you take your board out for its first spin.
- If you’ve never ridden a Cruzer before, the longer length can take some getting used to.
- We had issues with the wheels turning smoothly. We recommend loosening the wheels up a bit before your first ride.
- While the bearings received praise from some skaters, others had complaints regarding the smoothness of the roll.
- Unlike a traditional skateboard, this model isn’t designed for tricking or downhill riding, which can be limiting for some skaters.
- For some, the deck is just too stiff.
- The board’s softer wheels are not designed to handle uncultivated terrain, although they can easily and cleanly roll over gravel.
- Want a totally new type of skating experience? Take a leap into the future on the RazorX electric skateboard, a one of a kind electric skateboard that can reach impressive top speeds.
Conclusion and Rating
This is a longboard that’s perfect for commutes and rides around town, yet it can still handle jumping off curbs, easily. It’s incredibly stable, which is why we recommend it for beginners, but it’s also a great choice for the seasoned skater. Basically, this board has it all.
The Mahaka Rasta by Santa Cruz is a skateboard that comes highly recommended and frankly, it’s one of the best longboards out there. Offering a smoother roll, it allows you to hug tight curves as you fly down city streets, and it’s equipped with components that are designed to last. You won’t find cheap stock parts on this board. Overall, it’s definitely a board both the advanced skater and beginner will love. We gave this model a rating of five out five stars.
- Skateboard Trucks Comparison
- Everland 65x51mm Skateboard Wheels Review
- FORESTONE Blank/Natural Skateboard Decks – 8.0 inches Review
- How To Remove Skateboard Bearings
- RazorX Cruiser Electric Skateboard Review
- Santa Cruz Skate Mahaka Rasta Cruzer Skateboard Review
- Shark Wheel California Roll Skateboard Wheels Review
- Skateboards, RockBirds 31” Complete Pro Skateboard Review
- Useful Tips For Skaters